Press Release – Ourea Events
On Saturday 15th September 2017, two course records fell at the Mamores VK. Part of the wider Skyline Scotland weekend, the Mamores Vertical Kilometre® is the only official VK in the UK.Image Copyright – @guillemcasanova.com
- The Salomon Mamores VK (Vertical Kilometer®) is part of the Salomon Skyline Scotland event 15-17 Sept. It starts in Kinlochleven at The Ice Factor event village and heads 1000m up to Munro summit Na Gruagaichean (1056m).
- As per International Skyrunning Federation rules, a Vertical Kilometer® is a waymarked time trial with 1000m of height in a distance of 5km (same as a Saturday parkrun!) or less.Image Copyright – @guillemcasanova.com
It’s a tough, steep, muddy climb but there is no rock climbing experience required so any runner can enter.
2017 race highlights
- 2 course records fell on Friday 15 Sept – Team Salomon’s Stian Angermund-Vik from Norway and Laura Orgué from Spain smashed the men’s and women’s 2016 times.
- Stian ran 42:04, beating Alexis Sévennec’s 2016 record of 42:17
- Laura ran 52:22, smashing Georgia Tindley’s 2016 record of 54:34
- Brit Beth Hanson was 2nd lady with 52:26. Emelie Forsberg from Sweden, favourite for the flagship Salomon Glen Coe Skyline race and also part of Team Salomon came in 3rd lady with a time of 52:50.
- 2nd male was Brit Sam Tosh 42:38, 3rd male Alexis Sévennec from France with 42:44.
Image Copyright – @guillemcasanova.com
For more information about the Mamores VK & Skyline Scotland, check out http://www.skylinescotland.com